This Adorable Rodent House, besides being so cute, it is really handy for pretty much anything! It is safe for pets to chew on, and being light weight, it’s perfect for travel, and is also super simple and easy to recreate over and over!
For this cute project, you’ll need:
- A piece of cardboard, any thickness.
- A hot glue gun.
- A marker, pen or pencil.
- A drawing compass or circle template.
- A craft/box knife.
- A ruler.
And if you’d like the cute skewer piece on top you’ll need:
- A wooden skewer.
- Strong cutters to cut the skewer.
- Cut two pieces of cardboard, they should be 5.5 inches x 6.5 inches. This size works for any small pet rodent.
- Draw a dot at the top centre point of one of the pieces of cardboard.
- Then cut of a triangle from each side so it looks like the peice on the right in the image above.
- Place the cut piece on top of the uncut one, then trace the cut piece. Cut your tracing lines.
You should now have two identical pieces.
- Take one of the pieces and using your drawing compass or circle template, cut out a round hole in the lower middle section.
Hole Sizes: A larger hole can work as well.
Syrian Hamster, Chinese Hamster, Mouse: 2.5 inches
Gerbil: 3 inches
Winter White Hamster, Campbell’s Hamster, Roborovski Hamster: 2 inches
- Measure the side hight of the pieces. It should measure around 3 inches. You are going to cut two pieces that are that height by 4.5 inches.
- Cut two more pieces that measure 4.5 inches by around 4 inches. And if you want the top skewer piece, cut a four and a half inch long skewer piece. You should have all the pieces shown above, and now, get gluing!
When you finish gluing, the house should look something like this! Very cute, sturdy, and usful. This house is easily reparable, replacable, and budget friendly!
You can recreate this house in different sizes, and any size is just as easy!
It’s a super cute and fun craft, and I hope you enjoyed my little tutorial! If you’re interested in more hamster-related content be sure to like this post and follow the blog, and I’ll be back on Tuesday with more small pet care, DIYs, recipes, cage setups, stories and more, have a ham-tastic day!
4 thoughts on “DIY Adorable Rodent House”