Welcome to this DIY tutorial! Today we’re going to be making this Christmassy Basket Hut for small pets! You can recreate this DIY with any basket, or use different themed baskets for different cage themes! This one in particular is Christmas themed, and I’m going to be showing you step by step how I made it.
For this project you’ll need:
- A hot glue gun
- A dark marker
- Popsicle sticks
- A basket
- A circular template
- A piece of paper
- If your basket has handles on it simply snap them off.
- Trace your circular template onto your basket; this will be the doorway.
- Using your scissors chop out the hole in the basket. This can be challenging.
- Heat up your glue gun and glue together all the loose basket-bits.
Now to create the fancy doorway:
- Using your circle template draw a circle on a paper.
- Lay a popsicle stick on the circle, meeting up with the edge of the circle.
- Draw in the circle over the stick.
- Cut out the stick.
- Repeat until you have four rounded popsicle stick pieces that create a circular circumference with a square inside.
- And finally, glue on the popsicle stick pieces around the doorway.
- You can add a few sticks around the edges if you’d like.
And voila! A nice, Christmasy-looking hut for your small pet. I really want to make more huts like this, since they’re super cute and if you get uncoloured baskets they have a really naturalistic vibe. You can usually get baskets in Thrift stores, and there’s so many options!
Please scroll down and comment if you’ve made a basket hut and how it turned out!
If you’re interested in more hamster-related content be sure to like this post and follow the blog, and I’ll be back on Tuesday with more small pet care, DIYs, recipes, cage setups, stories and more, have a ham-tastic day!
6 thoughts on “Christmassy Basket Hut”
This is a good blog, Laura! Could you consider following my blog? Because I was thinking of posting hamster pics!
I’m glad you like my blog! I checked out yours, and it’s really neat! I would recommend looking into proper hamster care before posting anything about hamsters, even a picture. I followed your blog, and thanks for following me!
i actually am noting about the cage and the wheel and my mom is still saving for those things.
Laura, I would like you to know me and mom got a 100L cage for pheobe.
LikeLiked by 1 person
How many square inches (measure width and length then multiply to get square inches)? That’s so exciting!
LikeLiked by 1 person
I got an 100L cage! I’m going to take pictures for a post about it! thanks for the idea!